EXCLUSIVE: England star Raheem Sterling is seen flying BACK to the Qatar World Cup – taking his family with him to keep them safe after burglary terror at their Surrey mansion
- England ace, 28, left Doha prior to England’s 3-0 win over Senegal on Sunday
- It followed frightening reports of a break-in at his £6million mansion in Surrey
- But he was seen at Heathrow Airport last night to begin his journey back to Qatar
- He will rejoin Three Lions teammates as they prepare to face France on Saturday
England ace Raheem Sterling has been seen travelling back to Qatar to reunite with the Three Lions World Cup squad – taking his family with him after a burglary at his Surrey mansion.
The Chelsea winger, 28, left Doha prior to England’s 3-0 win over Senegal in the last 16 of the tournament following reports of a break-in at his £6million home.
Sterling was pictured at Heathrow Airport last night starting his journey back to Qatar ahead of England’s crunch quarter final against France on Saturday.
The winger will have missed large chunks of vital preparation and is highly unlikely to start the match.
England ace Raheem Sterling pictured at Heathrow Airport last night making his way back to Qatar
The Chelsea winger, 28, left Doha prior to England’s 3-0 win over Senegal in the last 16 of the tournament
Sterling (pictured arriving back home) was said to have been ‘shaken’ by news of the burglary last week
His return comes after a brief statement from the FA, which read: ‘Raheem Sterling will return to England’s World Cup base in Qatar.
‘The Chelsea forward temporarily left to attend to a family matter but is now expected to rejoin the squad in Al Wakrah on Friday ahead of the quarter-final with France.’
Sterling was said to have been ‘shaken’ by news of the burglary last week.
Shortly after it emerged he was to leave on Sunday evening, a spokesperson said armed raiders had entered his property while his family were at home and that he was keen to return.
But police later said the theft, of jewellery and watches, had been discovered when the family returned from Qatar and added that they had received no reports of armed intruders.
Surrey Police said on Wednesday morning they had arrested two men on suspicion of burglary following reports of suspicious activity in Oxshott and were working to establish whether those held were connected to the break-in at Sterling’s home, which is nearby.
The men were spotted acting suspiciously in a garden on Tuesday night with a helicopter and dog unit deployed.
A short time later, the force issued a further statement saying that they did not believe there to be a connection.
Raheem Sterling’s partner Paige and their three children were not inside their home at the time of the raid
Thieves broke into the father of three’s £6million gated home in Surrey on Saturday night
A number of Sterling’s England teammates were understood to be reviewing their own security in light of the frightening incident.
Three Lions teammate Kalvin Phillips yesterday said the burglary has made all England players fear for the safety of their families while they are away.
Phillips, 27, said: ‘Once one player goes through it, there is always a thought in the back of your mind that it might happen to you.
‘It’s not really a nice feeling when you are so far away and have family at home.
‘Raheem feels good enough to join back up with us — and we’re very happy his family are OK. It will be a massive lift.
‘Raheem’s an amazing player and obviously had to fly home with what’s gone on.
‘We’re just glad everything is OK now and he can rejoin us to play a big part in the next game, which we are looking forward to.’