Fans have been hotly anticipating Amazon’s Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, series for years. The first two episodes were finally dropped this week to be eagerly enjoyed over the long Labor Day weekend, but there’s six more episodes to come.
The new series is a prequel to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy set during the “Second Age.” It covers Sauron’s rise to power, the forging of the Rings of Power and their distribution, and how the One Ring to Rule Them All got loose. It will also reference a number of events that are frequently spoken of in the other adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien’s work, like the trials and tribulations on Númenor (which is where Aragorn’s ancestors hail from) and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, which is discussed in the prologue of Peter Jackson’s Fellowship of the Ring as the big stand against Sauron.
This content is imported from youTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
The episodes will be released one-by-one weekly from now on with the finale set for October 14, 2022. Here’s the schedule:
- Episode 1, “A Shadow of the Past” streaming Thursday, September 1, 2022, 9 p.m. EST. Watch Now
- Episode 2, “Adrift” streaming Thursday, September 1, 2022, 9 p.m. EST. Watch Now
- Episode 3, streaming Friday, September 9, 2022, 12 a.m. EST.
- Episode 4, streaming Friday, September 16, 2022, 12 a.m. EST.
- Episode 5, streaming Friday, September 23, 2022, 12 a.m. EST.
- Episode 6, streaming Friday, September 30, 2022, 12 a.m. EST.
- Episode 7, streaming Friday, October 7, 2022, 12 a.m. EST.
- Episode 8, streaming Friday, October 14, 2022, 12 a.m. EST.
Prime Video subscribers can watch anytime after they’re released and other viewers can sign up now for a free, 30-day trial, which will then cost $8.99 per month.
Aimée Lutkin is the weekend editor at ELLE.com. Her writing has appeared in Jezebel, Glamour, Marie Claire and more. Her first book, The Lonely Hunter, will be released by Dial Press in February 2022.