Liverpool are working around the clock to fly Naby Keita out of Guinea after Coup d’etat
Liverpool are working around the clock to fly Naby Keita out of Guinea after Coup d’etat plunged the country into chaos and forced postponement of World Cup qualifier
- Liverpool star Naby Keita remains in Guinea and club are working to fly him out
- A Coup d’etat against the country’s president saw Morocco game called off
- The Morocco team were forced to stay in their hotel before being evacuated
- Liverpool working to get Keita to Merseyside in a ‘timely and secure manner’
Liverpool are working to get Naby Keita out of Guinea after a Coup d’etat against the country’s president sparked scenes of chaos and violence in the country.
Guinea’s World Cup qualifier against Morocco was called off by FIFA and the African Federation following hours of heavy gunfire around the presidential palace and a seizure of power by armed soldiers.
Keita and his team-mates are understood to be safe and the Morocco team was evacuated from Conakry, the capital, after the postponement.
Liverpool are working hard to bring Naby Keita back from Guinea after a Coup d’etat
A Coup d’etat by Guinea’s armed forces on Sunday led to a World Cup qualifier between the country and Morocco being postponed
Liverpool are in constant communication with the relevant authorities and at present all borders are closed. Morocco were given special dispensation to fly out.
‘We are in constant contact with Naby and have had regular communication via his national team management,’ said a Liverpool spokesman.
‘We are satisfied that he is safe and well cared for.
‘Obviously the situation is fluid and we will maintain regular dialogue with the relevant authorities as we work to get Naby back to Liverpool in a timely and secure manner.’
Keita is Guinea’s star player and he will be looking to fly back to Merseyside as soon as he can
The country’s president Alpha Conde was pictured surrounded by armed soldiers after apparently being detained and removed from power
The Morocco squad and coaching staff were left trapped in their hotel, with coach Vahid Halilhodzic describing gunfire ‘nearly all day’, before they boarded a plane out of Guinea on Sunday night.
‘We’re at the hotel, gunshots could be heard nearly all day,’ Halilhodzic told French newspaper L’Equipe. ‘When you hear gunshots outside, safety is not 100 per cent guaranteed.’
The team arrived in Conakry on Friday and had one training session ahead of the match before being locked down in their accommodation.
On Sunday evening, however, the Morocco party was given an escort to the airport and flew out.
Several English-based players are in the Morocco squad – it is captained by Romain Saiss of Wolves, with Ilias Chair of Queens Park Rangers and Watford pair Adam Masina and Imran Louza also there.
Achraf Hakimi of Paris Saint-Germain also plays for the team.
Enormous crowds welcomed the armed forces into the Guinean capital city of Conakry
The soldiers said they’d overthrown the government and suspended the country’s constitution
Soldiers travel through the neighbourhood of Kaloum in Guinea’s capital Conakry on Sunday
Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat posted footage of the mass crowds on the streets on his Instagram stories account plus images from their flight home.
Earlier on Sunday, soldiers appeared on Guinea’s national TV channel claiming to have dissolved the government and suspended the constitution.
The fate of President Alpha Conde was unclear after an unverified video showed surrounded by gun-wielding soldiers.
Guinea’s defence minister denied the coup had been successful.
Morocco coach Halilhodzic described hearing the sound of gunfire ‘all day’ from the hotel
Romain Saiss of Wolves is captain of the Morocco national team and one of four English-based players in the squad for the World Cup qualifier
‘The current political and security situation in Guinea is quite volatile and is being closely monitored by FIFA and CAF,’ said a statement issued by both bodies.
‘To ensure the safety and security of all players and to protect all match officials, FIFA and CAF have decided to postpone the match.
‘Rescheduling information will be made available at a later date.’