Monumental Yankees Sweep in Boston
The Yankees went shipping up to Boston and left sweeping their way out. Three games. Three wins. What a monumental, much-needed sweep for the Yankees with just six games now remaining in the regular season. They now own the top wild-card spot and can control their own destiny in this final week. It was quite the impressive showing, but six games against the Blue Jays and Rays are still ahead, and it’s no lock that the Bronx Bombers will be in the postseason just yet.
To talk all about a crucial sweep in Beantown, we bring you a new episode of the “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and Yankees great Jeff Nelson, featuring a chat with Barstool Sports’ Eric Hubbs.
Pinstripe Pod Opening Segment with Chris, Jeff & Jake:
- HOW SWEEP IT IS: After all the negativity from Shearn on Thursday’s podcast despite sweeping the Rangers, he has egg on his face on Monday morning. He apologizes to Yankees fans as they are on the right track to the 7-2 finish they needed. It will likely take a 4-2 final week for them to be playing in the postseason. Giancarlo Stanton is sizzling right now. Gleyber Torres moving to second base has been a game changer.
- BLUE JAYS AHEAD: This is going to be a difficult series as they face the Blue Jays’ best pitchers. Both guys think there is a chance they lose two out of three and bring it down to a huge final weekend against the Rays. The Yankees need their starters to go deeper. The bullpen has been carrying them. Toronto will have 30,000 fans and it will be an electric atmosphere.
Eric Hubbs Interview:
Host of Barstool Sports’ “The Short Porch” Yankees podcast
- URGENCY: Hope is that Aaron Boone will manage with a sense of urgency this final week. Needs to treat these like World Series games.
- THREE-WAY TIE: There is a decent chance that the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Yankees end the regular season in a three-way tie. That is possibly the worst-case scenario for the Yankees.
- BULLPEN: Need Luis Severino and Domingo German to be key pieces out of the bullpen, especially if the starters can’t go deep.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the whole crew on Twitter @ChrisShearnYES, @NYNellie43 and @JakeBrownRadio. New episodes of the show are released Mondays and Thursdays.