Norway bow and arrow attacks: what we know so far about Kongsberg killings | Norway
A Danish man in his 30s is in custody after five people were killed and two others injured in a series of attacks using a bow and arrows in Norway on Wednesday evening.
The suspect is a Muslim convert who had previously been flagged as having been radicalised, according to police.
The attack took place at around 6.15pm local time in the suspect’s home town of Kongsberg, about 50 miles (80km) south-west of the capital, Oslo. It is thought to have started in or near a Coop store in the city centre.
One witness described a man “standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand”.
The suspect was arrested after what police called a “confrontation” about 20 minutes after the attacks began.
Police said there were several crime scenes spread across a large area of the town and that the man in custody was the only person implicated so far.
Norway’s national police directorate said it had ordered officers nationwide to carry firearms.
The acting prime minister, Erna Solberg, described reports of the attack as “horrifying”. The prime minister-designate, Jonas Gahr Støre, who is expected to take office on Thursday, called the assault “a cruel and brutal act”.
The death toll was the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when the far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers at a youth camp.