Smithy Family QUIT Tiktok after ‘arson attack’ destroyed home as they reveal they are moving to gated property
THE Smithy Family has quit TikTok after an arson attack destroyed their home, as they revealed they are moving to a gated property.
The family, who have over 3.5 million followers on TikTok, have said “Good Bye Beautiful People” in a video posted to Facebook, before quitting all platforms.
Speaking to the camera in the video, dad Nick Smith said the past week had been “too much”.
“This past week I’ve tried filming, I’ve tried getting in the spirit of it, but at the minute the happy bit has gone.
“It’s been taken away.”
“All I can say for now is, goodnight beautiful people.”
The TikTok stars were left “devastated” after their semi-detached house in South London was destroyed by the blaze on July 15.
Cops are investigating the cause of the fire – which is being treated as arson – after the house went up in flames that evening, just after 10pm.
Detectives were encouraging anyone with information to come forward to assist with the investigation.
A GoFundMe page set up for the family was enabling the family to move to a gated property on a private estate, while their house was repaired, Nick said.
Insurance would cover the damage, though he thought it would take over a year to fix.
The family’s withdrawal from social media comes after the Smithy’s shared CCTV footage of two hooded people approaching their Bexleyheath home and appearing to set fire to a Ford Mondeo on the drive.
No arrests have yet been made despite the incident being “well publicised” and one of the perpetrators seemingly setting his hand on fire in the process of the attack.
I’ve tried getting in the spirit of it, but at the minute the happy bit has gone.”
Although he is thankful his family made it out safely, dad Nick Smith has been crushed by the state of his charred home after forking out on renovations.
The TikTok star told the BBC of his despair after spending four months “and all of our hard-worked money” creating his dream home.
“The house is not okay,” he said in a video to his more than 2.5 million followers on the video-sharing app.
The 33-year-old had previously worked seven days a week bricklaying before he found social media success.
He had to grab his daughters Isabella, 9, Amelia, 6, and his newborn baby boy when Nick realised his car was on fire.
After it quickly spread to the home, more than 20 firefighters battled to extinguish the blaze until 12.30am.
The family’s soaring popularity online led to trolling and their address being leaked – seeing unwanted takeaways and even escorts sent to their home.
Detective Sergeant Danny Banks, from the Serious and Complex Investigations Unit, said: “My team of officers have been working around the clock to establish the circumstances of this incident.
“I thank everyone who has already come forward to police to assist with the investigation. We are following up all lines of enquiry and all allegations made to us.
“This incident has been well publicised and whilst we appreciate that the public wish to support the family, we ask that all information is provided to us directly. I also urge the public to refrain from undertaking their own investigations in relation to this case.
“We ask that anyone with information relating to this incident calls police on 101 or tweets @MetCC quoting CAD 8350/14July. No piece of information is insignificant. It is vital we hear from you.”
To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit Crimestoppers_uk.org.