Frank Warren has hinted that Tyson Fury’s fight with Anthony Joshua could still go ahead, but only if AJ’s team return the contract promptly.
The biggest fight in British boxing history has been pencilled in for December 3 at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff this year after AJ accepted the offer of a 60/40 split.
The two parties have been in talks over contracts for the last week with the Gypsy King setting Joshua’s camp a deadline of Monday to return the paperwork and make the fight official.
But taking to social media shortly after 5pm on Monday, Fury declared that the fight was off after receiving no formal response from AJ’s team.
However appearing on talkSPORT Drive, Fury’s promoter, Frank Warren, hinted that the deal could still be done.
He said: “We’re trying to get it done by today. We’re working very hard to get it over the line.
“If everyone agreed everything, it would be a huge undertaking, but we could do it that way.
“Tyson has told me what he wants. They’ve had the contract for ten days and he’s lost patience with it.
Tyson Fury confirms Anthony Joshua fight is NOT HAPPENING next
Fury rants at Joshua over deadline and names alternative December 3 opponent
Bellew believes no heavyweight could KO Joyce apart from Wilder and maybe Joshua
Slow-motion shows Mayweather got NAILED by hard shot in exhibition as fans question KO
Floyd Mayweather’s bodyguard suffers faceplant KO loss against Japanese kickboxer
war of words
Fury and Chisora in heated clash at ringside after Joyce knocks out Parker
“We’re trying to make it work and we had a good meeting today so we’ll see what happens.”
Asked what the hold up is, Warren said: “We’re waiting for it [the contract] to come back, it’s not come back, the contract, and we’re waiting for it to come back.
“We’ve agreed certain things, we’re waiting for it to come back and we’ve been waiting for ten days, so I’ve got no idea.
“There’s nothing as far as we’re concerned. We thought we’d got it over the line, more or less.
“They’ve got the contract, they’ve got to come back to us now. There’s been a lot of conversations but they’ve not come back.
“My son, George, spoke to the other side and said they’d get it back, so we’re waiting for it still.”
Asked why they need to respond on Monday, Warren replied: “We keep pushing it back.
“We’re not that far away from December 3. We’ve got to get it up on sale. The venue’s booked but there’s a lot of organisation involved.”
Over the weekend, Fury said he’d lost patience and would instead face Mahmoud Charr on December 3 if Joshua did not sign on Monday, but it remains to be seen who the Gypsy King will face next as decision time edges closer.